An Epic Romance

Studying the book of Ruth for Sunday School and reading the book of Revelation this week to complete my goal of reading the Bible in a year, I’m struck by the amazing romance story of the Bible.
I’ve heard preachers say my whole live that the Bible is a love letter to God’s people, but I don’t think I ever really understood that until now. And, I’m not sure why.
The Bible is full of epic romances:
If the Song of Solomon isn’t evidence enough, look at others:
Adam and Eve
Abraham and Sarah
Jacob and Rachel
Isaac and Rebekah
Moses and Zipporah
Samson and Delilah
Boaz and Ruth
David and Bathsheba
Ahasuerus and Esther
One of the great lessons of the book of Ruth is to help us understand romance.
What does Boaz do to romance Ruth? He provides for her.
Even if she gathers among the sheaves, don't embarrass her. Rather, pull out some stalks for her from the bundles and leave them for her to pick up, and don't rebuke her. Ruth 2:15 and 16
He protects her.
Watch the field where the men are harvesting, and follow along after the girls. I have told the men not to touch you. And whenever you are thirsty, go and get a drink from the water jars the men have filled. Ruth 2:9
What does Ruth do to attract Boaz?
She stays true to herself. She works honestly. She lives honestly.
Let me go to the fields and pick up the leftover grain behind anyone in whose eyes I find favor. Ruth 2:2
She went into the field and has worked steadily from morning till now, except for a short rest in the shelter. Ruth 2:7
She is humble.
Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner? Ruth 2:10
Remember, the book of Ruth is a romance.
The whole Bible is a Romance, and it culminates in the wedding for all time.
Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues came to me and talked with me, saying, “Come, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife.” And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, having the glory of God. Her light was like a most precious stone, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal. Revelation 22:9-11
That Bride is me. That Bride is you.
This Bible, this salvation, this life as a disciple is really about us getting ready for our wedding. It’s an engagement. It’s a romance.
Jesus is romancing you, just like Boaz romanced Ruth.
He’s protecting you.
He’s telling others to leave behind extra wheat for you to harvest.
He’s providing for you.
And, you know what? Most of us don’t even know it.
We live like we’re in a vacuum. We don’t take into account that we’re disappointing the very one who loves us most. Unlike Ruth, we spend a lot of time trying to impress.
We could take a serious lesson from her.
What is attractive to God? The same thing that attracted Boaz.
Honesty. Hard work. Diligence. Commitment. Compassion. A willingness to give up our own comfort for the sake of others, not out of obligation, but out of genuine love. Humility.
Have you, like Ruth, stopped to say,
“Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?”
Do you know that God, like Boaz, is going in front of you and saying:
Watch the field where the men are harvesting, and follow along after the girls. I have told the men not to touch you. And whenever you are thirsty, go and get a drink from the water jars the men have filled. Ruth 2:9
If you haven’t stopped to realize it, you need to.
He’s romancing you.
How are you responding?

Comments

  1. WOW !! That's some good stuff .... deep and very moving.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment