She Prayed for Me


Things have been a little rough lately.

Never mind the details, just know that January has just been a series of I-get-knocked-down-but-I-get-up-agains, and it was showing.

Feeling defeated, overwhelmed and insecure, I’ve spent a lot of time questioning God to discover what work He’s doing in my life. And, I’ve used my wife as a sounding board, to vent and for advice. I know she doesn’t like it when she knows I’m troubled, but it sure is good to have her there on those days when my outlook is grayer than the January sky.

I should stop here and point out two other things about January:
• I challenged my Sunday School class to read through the Bible, cover-to-cover in 2012.
• And, I’ve made it a point to pray for my family with the same intensity that I’ve prayed for others.

It’s making a difference. Either my circumstances are changing, or God is changing me. And, He’s changing my family. My boy is more respectful. My girl has a happier disposition, and, my wife is reading her Bible every night–and enjoying it.

So, when this gray patch came along, I shouldn’t have been surprised that my wife, definitely my better half, became my spiritual anchor.

She called me out of the blue today at work to ask how my day had gone. I answered truthfully:

It’s been a good day. I got a lot accomplished. Some work-related pressure was relieved. Our work team seemed to gain some energy today, and some thoughtful folks emailed some welcome compliments.

I relayed that list to my wife, and that’s when she said to me what may be the most wonderful, loving, tender, insightful words she has ever spoken.

“I was just checking on you. While you were asleep last night, I laid my hands on you and prayed for you, that you would have a good day and that things would get better.”

We've known each other 27 years. We've been married for almost 19 of those, yet the emotions that erupted inside me after hearing those words were completely unexpected. I swelled with pride. I have never felt more loved. If you had told me knowing that my wife prayed for me would have been such an amazing gift, I would not have believed it. But now…now, I can say unequivocally, there is no greater way to show your love and respect than to pray for your spouse and then tell them you did it.

I will rest well tonight knowing that while I sleep, my wife is praying specifically and lovingly for me.

Comments