Dust Off My What?

     I don't know for sure what caused the raspy, crackly, unable-to-hit-the-high-notes break in my voice last week, but regard- less of the cause, I needed some relief.
     I stopped by the dollar store for something to soothe my vocal cords, walking away with a honey lemon cough drop that promised to cool my throat while helping to eliminate the symptoms and it worked.
     An hour or so later, I pulled out a lozenge for some healing coolness, and was immediately perplexed.
     Next to the brand name on the wrapper were two words written in black ink: "Dust off."
     Uh, what's that?
     I re-read the words. Yup, that's what it said: "Dust off."
     Dust off what?
     Why would someone sell a throat lozenge that needs dusting off before using it?
     What do I dust off?
     I've never much cared for the thin paper wrappers those things are enclosed in. Maybe someone realized there was a problem.
     I followed the instructions, wiping the wrapper on my leg before untwisting the paper to reveal my golden oval throat candy.
     That's when I realized the whole wrapper was printed with motivational sayings. At least I THINK they're supposed to be motivational.
     "Turn can do into can did."
     "Get back in the game."
     "Inspire envy."
     "Hi-five yourself."
     "Push on."
     "Conquer today."
     Most of those, I get, but "Dust off?"
     I'm assuming there's something more to the quote, but when I researched the question, I couldn't find an answer, although I did find other people who questioned these little Pep Talks, as Halls calls them.
     Adding a little motivation to my throat medicine isn't a bad idea, I don't guess. Although, I have to question the wisdom of thinking that anyone sick would be concerned about inspiring envy. When my throat is sore and I'm having trouble talking, I don't feel much like conquering today.
     But, it's not the sentiments that bother me. What gets me is that Halls didn't quite think this one through. They missed a flaw in the process that can result a wrapper instructing the holder to " dust off."
     I still don't know what I'm supposed to dust off. My boots? My exercise equipment? Beats me, I just needed to hit the high note.
     I did, by the way.
 

Comments