A Lesson in People Watching

I'm a people watcher by nature, an observer of human behavior.
I suppose I may have learned a few things from noting their habits and peculiarities. Usually, though, I'm left with questions. Every once in a while I find a lesson that will preach a sermon.

I've seen him at the gym several times now. Dressed in shorts and tennis shoes, he stands near the water cooler, the television or in the lobby. Cup in hand, he stands and sips.

Something ain't right.
I first, I couldn't figure it out. He's dressed appropriately. He's not bothering anybody. In fact, I've never even seen him talk to anyone. He's at the gym, but I've never seen him on a treadmill or elliptical. I've never seen him lift a weight or play a game of basketball or racquetball. HE'S AT THE GYM, AND HE NEVER BREAKS A SWEAT. Like I said, something doesn't fit.

To be completely transparent, I haven't tried to engaged him in conversation; I watch from afar. Can't help it. I'm intrigued. This week, I saw the sipping man again. I watched him, trying hard not to stare. This time it was different, though. This time I saw...a lesson.

This man comes to the gym and sips. He does not workout. He SIPS. Maybe he's thirsty. Maybe he doesn't know what else to do. So, he lifts his Styrofoam and sips. He sips, but is never filled. A half hour later, he leaves, not stronger, not healthier, still thirsty. He leaves the same as he came, completely unchanged.

You Have  to Workout
It's not enough to go the gym, buddy. You have to workout while you're there to get the benefit. 

How many people's relationship with Jesus is that way?

They come to Christ or to church and they make no effort beyond that. They make an appearance, and do nothing much else. They sip from the Living Water and leave. They don't have conversations. They don't study or spend time in prayer. They think that one sermon or one daily devotional is enough. They get a sip of water, but they are not filled. They leave unchanged.

The key to living a Christ-like life is to be plugged in: to Jesus, to prayer, to the Bible and, yes, to the local church. I've seen people try to live a Christ-like life unplugged, but it doesn't work, not for long.

Here's the thing: We're not all people watchers. You CAN come to church and, like the gentleman at the gym, fly under the radar, sip in the corner and quietly leave. They never engage with other Christians, sip on the sermon and leave. They are dressed appropriately. They look the part, but there is no growth, no strength, no endurance, no change.

Paul often compare the Christian life to athleticism. He challenged us to run the race and to be strong and endure. You can come to the gym every day of your life, but if you don't actually use the tools there, if you don't actually work out or even talk to people, you have wasted an opportunity. You have wasted an opportunity and left yourself unprepared for the time when you need strength or endurance.

Gyms aren't water fountains. Churches aren't either. You get out of it what you put in to it.
Don't sip from the sidelines. Get in the game.

Comments