Oh Snap! I Have Nothing to Chat About


     I have Snapchat, but I don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with it. I also have Tumbler, but I have never posted anything to it. I do not know the passwords to either one of them. If something goes haywire with my phone, I would not know how to access them.
     I guess I just don’t understand them enough to use them. Tumbler is like a blog, or so I am told. I see people post pictures there, sometimes with words. It looks very random. I’m not sure whether it’s interactive, not that it would matter. I wouldn’t know how to interact with fellow Tumblers anyway.
     Snapchat is intriguing. It is a video blog or mobile scrapbook, except the scrapbook is destroyed 24 hours after you start it. I have a few Snapchat connections. Is that what you call them? Are they friends? Likers? Followers? I honestly don’t know. Some of these people are very clever. They use Snapchat to create mini video stories of an event, day or mood. I can’t figure out why I would want to take the time to chronicle a moment or event of my life in a creative way and have it available for only 24 hours.
     These stories are impermanent, temporal. Some of them really do tell a story. Some don’t make any sense at all. I see a shadow with a number, or a dog. There are lots of dogs. I took a picture of one of my dogs to share on Snapchat, but I couldn’t remember what you were supposed to do once you took the picture. It is entirely possible that I chatted it and didn’t know it.
     Now that I think about it, Snapchat isn’t that different than my old job in daily newspaper. Reporters and editors spend hours crafting, fighting and editing news stories and features, choosing nuanced phrases, imagery and the perfect 25 words or less lede to get the readers’ attention. A day later that work is old news, and the paper it is printed on becomes kindling, birdcage liner or fish wrap.
     In high school we studied a poem called Ozymandias. It was about man’s attempts to be immortal. If he cannot live forever, he will seek to leave something behind that will cause others to remember him.
     I don’t see much concern about legacy or immorality these days. The emphasis is on instant acceptance, immediate popularity and fame. I’m guilty of it myself. I post a picture on Instagram and check back regularly for likes. I tweet something I believe is clever and enable notifications, just in case 100 other people also think it’s clever. I don’t think that’s ever happened.
     I’m not sure what this generational difference means. What does it say about baby boomers like me that we are concerned with legacy? Why do Millennials and the iGeneration desire instant gratification? I’m sure it has something to do with microwaves, fast food and fiber optics as well as classic TV, cars made out of real metal and retirement plans.
     It’s kind of sad, really. There won’t be old home movies, photo albums or old recordings for my kids to play for their grandchildren. Nostalgia will live in the mind, but have no tangible connection to the past. The keepsakes that I cherish may end up in the garbage can after I’m gone from this world.
     On the other hand, it’s encouraging. My kids are not weighed down by sentimental possessions or worthless trinkets. They understand that real treasure cannot be destroyed by moths or rust. They know that relationships and eternity are what really matter. They don’t take tomorrow for granted, so they Snapchat today and hope for a new story tomorrow.
     All in all, that’s not a bad way to live.

Comments