God Whispers


   A series of events, scenes really, at work this week heightened my awareness and left me thankful. God, in His infinite wisdom, whispers, “I am with you.”
     It started with a casual observance as I walked down the hallway that leads to my office door. A Bible, worn brown leather and monogrammed, anchors the desk of a co-worker. It has been there all week. I don’t know why God’s Word has held such a prominent position–within reach–the past five days, but I am grateful for it. Not every workday goes as planned. Life is full of speedbumps and potholes. It’s also filled with good and perfect gifts and a need for wisdom. Whatever the reason, truth has a presence in our office. God whispers, “You are not alone in your journey.”
     My buddy T walked purposefully into my office earlier this week and closed the door behind him. Sometimes that’s because there’s a need for a private word. Sometimes he closes the door because I ask him to. Sometimes, it’s one of THOSE days, and you just need to tell somebody about it. Not this day. “We’re going to pray,” he said. It was not a question, but a statement of fact. My friend and co-worker was with me. He told us there was an immediate need in the life of someone we cared about, and that we needed to pray–now. We bowed. T prayed, and God whispered, “Where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among you.”
     I received a message to meet at the fountains to go and pray. A man most of us don’t really know needed divine intervention. We know his wife. And, because she is hurting and praying, we hurt and pray, too. I didn’t see the message in time to join the prayer warriors at the fountain, so I bowed my head at my desk, knowing that the God who created space and time could bridge the gap between us and braid my prayers with those of my co-workers. We prayed, and God whispered, “A cord of three is not easily broken.”

     Three separate events in five days’ time. Three opportunities to invite God into our everyday, workaday lives, not as zealots or campaigners, but as men and women of faith who are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is unreasonable to attempt to separate the sacred from the secular. You can’t do it. Your faith either permeates all situations, or you do not have faith. We have faith, and God whispers, “Well done.”

Comments