The Walk Series: Of Walks and Tulips



     Those tulips.
     I have taken to walking at least once during my work day. It started as an exercise in exercise, an attempt to burn more calories, but it has become something more.
     The walks have helped me to realize the importance of appreciating the moment. That very first day I encountered these tulips, glowing inside a boxwood border alongside a brick sidewalk. They. Were. Stunning.
     I pulled out my phone and snapped a picture, several in fact, and posted the my favorite to my Instagram account adding the hashtag #lunchwalk (and a few others). I did it again the next day and the next, and I've continued pretty much every work day since. I follow basically the same route every day, and I am amazed and what I have discovered. The scene changes daily, something I wouldn't normally notice. I've learned to pay attention, drink in the beauty, keep my eyes open.
     But, it's more than a watchful eye. I've also been using this time to pray and to listen for God's message for me. The tulips were a right-on-time reminder me that worry is fruitless.
     "Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon nin all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little fiath! And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you." - Luke 12:27-31
     These tulips weren't worried about the unknown. They weren't overwhelmed with their duty to bloom. they weren't DOING. They were BEING.
     They say a picture is worth a thousand words. That's about right.

Comments