Consider the Lilies; A Lesson in Gratefulness

     It is the weekend. The Bulldogs won, barely. My boy turns 20 next week. My girl has the perfect homecoming dress. It’s still warm outside, and comfortably cool inside.  Church is Sunday. My Sunday School lesson is challenging. Our life group meets this weekend, and the menu is breakfast for supper.
     The front door now boasts the colors of autumn, and the mantel is decked out in hues of gold and orange. The Harry Potter books are back on display, I’m reading “Harry Potter and The Cursed Child,” and the story really does continue.
     It doesn’t take much effort to find things to be thankful for, you’d think we’d do a better job at being grateful.
     I think we fail at living life with gratitude because we just don’t take the time. We go so fast.  We stay so stimulated. We attend to our devices so much. We walk with our heads down and drive with our windows up. We speed down the two-lane roads and wish for the next season before this one is complete. We take vacations with itineraries, and our days off are filled with chores and to-do lists.
     How many opportunities to be thankful do we race by just because we weren’t paying attention?
And, if we have raced by those chances, what else have we missed? Opportunities to minister? Blessings intended for us? People who could have been friends? Advice we needed? Answers to prayer?
     Jesus’ advice to us is to “consider the lilies,” with this important connection:
     “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
     If I invest in worry, my heart will be troubled.
     If I invest in greed, my heart will be ruled by it.
     If I live a self-absorbed life, my heart will be closed to others.
     BUT…
     If I put stock in relationships, my heart will be open to others.
     If I invest my resources in others, my heart will be generous.
     If I invest in looking for opportunities to be thankful, my heart will be grateful.
     Before the weekend is up, I hope you’ll join me in literally considering the lilies. They don’t worry about tomorrow. They live out their purpose, adding beauty, fragrance and inspiration to our days. If we follow their example, gratefulness will be the byproduct.


Comments