Do Justice, Love Kindness, Walk Humbly

     I am so grateful that my pastor, in God-given wisdom, addressed the 9/11 anniversary in his sermon this morning. I also love that he used the topic as a call to prayer and repentance.
     Frankly, I have found it hard to watch the news reports about the day the Twin Towers were struck by terrorists. The stories are compelling, frightening, heart-rending, sad and a reminder that we live in a sinful, evil, deluded world. That’s important to remember.
  • It’s also important to remember what our response cannot be.
  • We cannot hide from terrorism.
  • We cannot pretend that evil is not real.
  • We cannot live in fear.
  • We cannot do nothing.
  • We cannot disregard the truth.
  • We cannot judge one person based on the actions of others.
  • We cannot put on blinders to the reality that there are religious zealots who espouse hate and murder.
  • We cannot pretend that America is immune or special.
     It’s also important to remember what we can do, and the easiest way to do that is to think in terms of opposites.
  •  We can shine a harsh light on terrorism.
     “For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.” John 3:20
  • We can acknowledge that evil is real.
     “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesian 6:12
  • We can remember.
     “You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore, the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.” Deuteronomy 5:15
  • We can acknowledge truth.
     “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6
  • We can build a strong defense.
     "And the Lord turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours and save Israel from the hand of Midian; do not I send you?” And he said to him, “Please, Lord, how can I save Israel? Behold, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.” And the Lord said to him, “But I will be with you, and you shall strike the Midianites as one man.” Judges 6:14-16

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” Ephesians 6:10-11
  • We can return to God.
     “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

     Our response to 9/11 is no different than what we should do every day, God’s word from Micah:
     “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” Micah 6:8

Comments