My Little Black Book

     The small black book lays on the table beside my bed.
     I don’t use it as often as I should. It’s a relatively hew effort.
     Written inside are the prayers I have prayed, each with a date, some with two.
     Those with one date are the prayers I am currently praying. Those with two are those that have been answered.
  • Healing for my wife, who, earlier this summer, had an ongoing health issue that was taking its toll. Answered.
  • A bone marrow transplant for my dear friend battling leukemia. Answered.
  • Resources for a young couple with an opportunity to go to Ireland for a mission exploration. Answered.
  • A successful June mission trip to San Francisco, Mexico for our church mission team. Answered.
  • Good roommates for my son at Middle Tennessee State University. Answered.
     There are more that I am praying, continuing to trust God for His answer in His time:
  • A good buddy to return to his faith.
  • Spiritual growth for a young man whose heart I love.
  • The future spouses of my children.
  • Healing and comfort for two sweet elderly women in my church.
  • Provision for my own mission trip to Mexico in December.
     Keeping the prayer journal was not my idea. It was suggested as part of a Bible study as a faith builder. When we write down our prayers and date them, we see God at work. Our faith grows. Our confidence in God increases. Fear is defeated.
     On another page in this journal, I wrote a reminder to myself: “What my Father says about me.” It is reminders from scripture, when my faith wavers:
     I belong to God.
     I am forgiven by God.
     I am complete in Jesus.
     I cannot be separated from God.
     I am a child of God.
     I have been redeemed.
     The sin debt against me is cancelled.
     I am chosen by God.
     I am a new creation by God.
     I am included with God.
     I am secure in God.
     I am not alone.
     I am dearly loved.
     I am set free.
     I can approach God boldly.

     God answers prayer. When He does, write it down. Write down the truths He reveals about your identity. Then, on those days when it feels like no answer is coming or that God is not on your side or that hope is lost, you can go to this record of His faithfulness and be reminded of the truth.

Comments