Regardless of How It Feels, It's Fall, Ya'll!

     The calendar says fall. The weather does not, and therein lies a lesson for us all.
     Despite a high temperature in the 90s, my front door is outlined in bronze, orange and red leaves, with pumpkins and mums nearby. Why? Because I know it's fall. If I acted in accordance with my weather observations, the pumpkins would still be in the attic.
     Despite it feeling like July, we're preparing for a high school homecoming dance, a birthday celebration and a fall-break concert at our house. Why? Because I know it's September. If I depended on how it feels outside, I would be planning a beach trip or buying school supplies.
     When the circumstance does not reflect the truth, we need to remember to base our actions or reactions on what we know to be true, not on the immediate situational indicators.
     I mean, if you see a guy running, you should not assume that he is an athlete. Maybe he's being chased, or just in a hurry.
     How many times have I been mislead by feelings or incorrect information or based a decision on clues that do not reflect reality?
     It happens every day. Someone is belligerent, so we label them hateful, when, in truth, they hurting. Someone is laughing out loud, so we assume they are happy, when, in reality, their laughter is hiding the tears that will come later.
     What if, in this season of harvest, we committed to not judge people or situations based on their current status or behavior, and instead stopped to ask what is the truth in this situation?

Comments