The Witch In the Cupboard

        There is a cow on my refrigerator, and, until today, there was a witch in my cupboard.
     I took the witch out today in preparation for the upcoming holiday season, as I have every year for the past 8 years. The cow remains in place, for now. She greets me every time I open the refrigerator door, and she always makes me smile. 
     Both are the creations of my daughter. Drawn in marker when she was 9, I fell in love with the witch immediately, and it has become a standard decoration in my office each fall since.
     “Bubble, Bubble, toil and trouble!” she says through a rosy-cheeked smile, while her helpful black cat holds a beaker of potion with his tail. I love it.
     I’ve always been a keeper of these kinds of things. I have a file of artwork and notes that my kids have drawn for me. I cherish them as reminders of not-so-long-ago days and as examples of excellent work. My girl has always had an eye for detail, and I am amazed when I look back and see that she has paid attention to “the little things” since she was a little girl.
     Paying attention to the little things, really does make a difference, whether it’s measuring a quarter-teaspoon of spice, picking the right tie or listening for the sound that indicates something isn’t right with your car. Attending to the little details, shows thoughtfulness and an appreciation for the efforts of others, like the way Disney incorporates mouse ears into carvings and rails and artwork. It also demonstrates that quality and safety are values we should hold close. In health care, drugs can interact and cause serious problems. In traffic planning, stop lights and turn arrows keep people safe. In relationships, remembering a favorite flower or favorite candy and gifting them “just because,” is a statement of personal investment that generic gift cards just can’t do.
     Going forward, I ask, what details can you be attentive to that would make life better for someone else? It might be as simple as pulling a witch from the cupboard. I can promise you this, when my now-teenage artist sees that the witch she created is once again on display, it will send an important message to her that all the money in the world can’t buy:
  • You are talented.
  • Your work is worthy of display.
  • Your art, because it was created by you, is valued.
     Those are powerful statements that can change the trajectory of a life. Let’s do it. Let’s attend to the details!

Comments