A Guaranteed Promise for the New Year

     Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.
     If you make only one resolution for 2019, let it be this: Read your Bible daily. I did the math. That's 86 verses a day.
     There is nothing so easy to do that comes with so great a guarantee. My resolution is to read the Bible through in 2019. This is not the first time that I've done this, and I pray it won't be my last. I just finished Revelation 22 last night.
     Every time I read it through, I discover a new promise, a new truth that guides me, moves me or changes me. The promise that prompted this post is from the book of Revelation, chapter 1, verse 3.
     Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.
     I want to be blessed, and I want my family to be blessed. If reading the book of Revelation to myself and to them will bring blessings on our lives, I want in.

Promises from Reading Scripture

     There are plenty of other scriptures that offer promises from the simple act of reading God's word. Here are a few of my favorites:
     All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
     I'd like to be equipped for every good work in 2019. Count me in.
     For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
     Have you seen our world lately? I want to have hope. I'll read my Bible.
     For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
     I know I can deceive myself. I know people can deceive me. The Bible is a tool that helps to discern thoughts and intentions. Please, I'd like that ability in my life.
     Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:105
     Please don't read too much or too little into this little verse. This does not mean that you will magically find direction on every decision by picking up your Bible and letting it fall open to a random verse. It does mean that if you read it daily and apply what you read, you're far less likely to make a misstep. I pray that I and my family will read the Bible, but also do what it says.
     This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Joshua 1:8
     I want prosperity and good success in my life. Meditating on scripture promises to bring those things in my life. I will read, speak and meditate on the Bible.
     If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. John 15:7
     I want my prayers answered. I will abide in Jesus and His words.

Here's the Math:

     If reading the scripture through in a year seems daunting, I've done a little math for you:
  • Read just 1 chapter in the New Testament every weekday. Do that, and you can finish the New Testament in a year.
  • Want to finish the entire Bible in 2019? If you read 3.25 chapters every day, you can finish in one year.
  • Or, you can think of it this way: You can read the Bible in one year if you read 86 verses every day 
  • Read 22 verses every day, and you will finish the New Testament in one year.
  • Alternate reading 2 and 3 chapters a day, every day, and you can read through the Old Testament through in a year. 
     True guarantees are hard to come by.
     The ones we see most often have expiration dates, only apply if you sign and return them by mail or they have limits them render them virtually useless. This one doesn't come with limitations, clauses or expiration dates.

One More Resolution

     I am adding one thing to my resolution: I plan to read through using a journaling Bible this year. I want to write in the margins, highlight and emphasize the scriptures that give  me strength, encouragement or knowledge. Then, at the end of the year, I want to hand that Bible off to someone important to me, one of my kids, my wife, or a trusted friend.

Comments